The first time someone warned Kim Humphrey that one of his sons might be in trouble with drugs he was offended.
“We got a phone call from a mother whose daughter was friends with our son,” he recalls. “Her daughter was worried that our son was going to overdose.”
“Our first reaction was, ‘That’s ridiculous,’” Humphrey says. “’He doesn’t take drugs, so how could he overdose? Our kids are fine. They do well in school, they’re not in trouble. They’re all-American kids.’ What she was saying didn’t make any sense.”